- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.6XeXEVt9.dpuf The Curiosity Project: A Curious Christmas! Box #121

18 December 2011

A Curious Christmas! Box #121

Tissues at the ready everyone...


"My curious box arrived long before I had finished filling my own box and so I was actually surprised when the postman knocked on the door with my massive parcel - it hadn't really occurred to me that other people would be so quick to finish their boxes!


I settled down with a cup of tea and carefully opened the jiffy bag from my curious friend to discover the most beautiful box hand-covered in vintage floral print fabric and finished with a pretty flower decorated with buttons and beads. As someone who is obsessed with buttons - I use them in my work all the time - I already felt like my mystery gifter knew me!



I lifted the lid on my box to find some lavender (one of my very favourites) scenting the pretty tissue paper lining and could barely contain myself as I went to peel back the paper to reveal the contents.





I started by opening my enclosed card - a laser cut festive heart design (I am such a laser cut fan - again, how did my curious friend know?) My card explained that my box contained 'things I have made, places I love, things I find so sweet and things for you to do'.




My box of treats seemed to be never-ending, every time I removed a beautiful gift there was another treat hiding underneath, literally too many to mention. Among them were gorgeous art postcards showing my curious friend's favourite Suffolk spots (and which made me want to visit), an embroidered vintage place mat which is exactly what I have been looking for, an oh-so-cute vintage tea towel wrapped in a pretty vintage pom pom trim, cupcake baubles and cupcake wrappers (I'm guessing my curious friend likes cake just as much as me), a handmade glass tree bauble, Cath Kidston heart buttons and tissues, a beautifully scented bath melt, gorgeous clips which will help me keep my writing desk tidy, festive ribbon which I will use to wrap my Christmas presents, and a sachet of soothing hand soak – the perfect gift for someone who spends her days wiring brooches and buttons together to make bouquets and has the scratched and sore hands to prove it!



My favourite gifts had to be the handmade pin cushion and needle case in floral fabric to match my gift box. When I opened the needle case I was transported back to when I was a little girl and my grandma helped me to make something very similar – it caught me completely off guard and was such a perfect present that I actually cried! It is thanks to my grandma (who passed away earlier this year) and my mum that I can sew and craft and I have them to thank for the fact that I now make a living from making things. This thoughtful handmade gift from my anonymous curious friend really reminded me that I have them to be thankful to and so it really was the perfect Christmas gift in so many ways.
I really want to say a massive, heartfelt thank you to my curious friend for filling my box with such pretty and thoughtful gifts – and to the Curiosity Project too for thinking up this truly magical idea.
I shall think of my curious friend and my grandma every time I use my pin cushion and needle case – and in particular I will think of something my curious friend wrote in her card to me: “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.”


 A beautiful write-up Debbie! Also, as a Suffolk girl Miss Curiosity can confirm that you do indeed need to visit!

xx


2 comments:

  1. Dear curious friend i am so glad you liked your box i had such fun putting it together.Reading your letter made me feel very emotional as like you i feel that my grandma gave me my skills(not that they are great by any means)i loved her so much and still do even though she has been gone for many years now.i hope you have a great Christmas and a happy new year.xxx
    miss curiosity
    Thank you so much for your time. Merry Christmas and happy new year.XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that's so lovely - I hope you have a fabulous Christmas and new year...and that you enjoyed your own box at least half as much as me!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete