- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.6XeXEVt9.dpuf The Curiosity Project: Curb Your Curiosity: Hello Geronimo

16 March 2012

Curb Your Curiosity: Hello Geronimo

It's the freakin' weekend and to celebrate, we're kicking off a brand new series of oh-so inspirational interviews with some of our favourite designers. We're delving deep into their worlds to discover what inspires them, gleaning top tips and advice for those of you who are trying to find out where you and your own products might fit into the world...and of course, a bit of nosy chit-chat to satisfy your curiosity. So without further ado, I give you Vicky Cockell of Hello Geronimo...


Introduce yourself to us!  
Hello, I’m Vicky, owner of Hello Geronimo… the art makers that have a small penchant for buttons and extreme colour.

Describe your style…   
We make handmade embellished artwork that find inspiration in texture, colour and embroidery and we’re drawn to striking silhouettes and classic patterns. We try to add a pinch of humour to our designs with the inclusion of strategically placed badges that represent places, things and people.




What do you love about the medium you work in? 
The vivid colours are so pleasant to work with at anytime, they can brighten even the dullest mood. I also find it incredibly therapeutic and satisfying piecing them all together.

• Where do you find your inspiration- who or what inspires you? 
I am completely addicted to Pinterest and find it so inspiring just trawling through all the beautiful images and products. I think blogs are brilliant and can’t imagine life without them now. My current favourite is the Patternity blog.




How do you translate your inspiration into a design? 
I tear anything I see out of magazines, or print out and put them all together onto a board, sketch some ideas and just keep going back to it to look at and work on. I’m not very good at switching off so it will tend to always be with me anyway.

• How do you structure your working day? 
I need to have a vague routine for me to be as productive as possible and cannot survive without a (ever growing) To Do list. So as long as I have that in front of me each morning my days are pretty well planned. That, and quite a bit of tea!

We all get creative block. How do you combat it? 
You can’t force it. You have to let designs and ideas come to you naturally. Of course, you can help them along by dedicating time to visiting galleries, looking at blogs and reading books but at the end of the day it has to be a natural progression.

Share your favourite tool with us. 


Well, it’s not a tool but my button storage is extremely satisfying to me after over a year of them all in jars. I now have 5 large drawers dedicated to them and have separated them by colour. I could rival any haberdashers out there! That, or the ridiculously strong superglue that I use and a very steady hand.   

Describe your dream creative space…



I’ve only recently converted the spare bedroom into my studio so I know exactly the look I’d like to achieve. One wall would be full of inspiring thoughts, images and things in progress, there’d be lovely fabric, cottons, ribbons, papers everywhere and a really tidy desk (that’s not piled with paperwork!) for me to work on. I’d also love a dog or cat to keep me company but sadly I’m not allowed one yet. I’m working on it though!

What lead to the moment that made you decide to sell your products professionally? 
I made two gifts for friends as wedding presents and then a few people asked me to make a few more as gifts for other people. I then did a small fair in Marylebone which was a great success so I applied to do a trade fair and I haven’t stopped since! I think it was mostly my fiancĂ© and my friends urging me to do it as I’m not the most confident of people.

• What are the obstacles you've encountered on your journey so far? 
For the first year I was working part time at a magazine, which was great and they were so supportive. My role there was only ever part time so it was very convenient for me when setting up the business. But it was so hard to split my head between the two and for the first year I was working on Hello Geronimo at any spare moment I had but I did find it very hard to not let it control me but also keep up with all the orders I had coming in.

• The biggest high of my career so far is... 
Selling my work to some of my favourite shops over the past year and have them continue to re-order is by far the most amazing feeling. I’ve always admired these shops and never would have dreamed that my work would be carried by them.
{These include}
Heal's
Not On The High Street
Graham & Green (London stores only)

• What's the biggest lesson you've learnt on your creative journey so far & what advice would you give to a newbie? 
Price your products right from the start. If you get this wrong when you approach shops, or start to become known you cannot put them up for at least a year, and even then not by much so it’s essential you cover all bases. I forgot to include my time at first which was a big error but thankfully it was before I had approached anyone.

What's next for you? 
I’m doing Grand Designs in May which is a 10 day fair and I’m quite nervous about it. It’s the unknown and I’m not good with surprises so at the moment I’m manically trying to prepare for that and make enough pieces in advance to sell whilst there. Then I’m getting married so I might take a little time off for that, although it will be a bit of a struggle!

• Take us on a crawl of your favourite shops. Where do you like to shop and why? 



 I absolutely love Liberty, I could spend hours in there just wandering around. There’s a great antiques place in Crystal Palace that sells Mid Century pieces that I go to sometimes, it’s a bit of a hidden gem though so I won’t say too much! I love everything in The Lollipop Shoppe, they have a great eye and I can’t resist a design classic. 


We LOVE Rifle Paper Co too!!!

The Rifle Paper co. make beautiful cards and stationary items too. But the one product that I covet is the Taraxacum 88 S1 Suspension Light by Flos.




• What's on your bedside table? 
A lot of books, a reading light and some lovely hand cream. My poor hands are pretty ruined by the work I do so I try to take care of them at night.

iPhone, blackberry or android? And why?
 iPhone, I’m a complete Apple convert and won’t go back now.

Complete the sentence: "On a rainy day I… stay in the warmth of my studio, with lots of tea, a beautiful candle burning, Radio 4 and submerge myself in the pieces I’m making for people. Having a dog or a cat (I’m not fussy!) to keep me company would be the icing on the cake"

You're planning your last ever meal and celebrating with a dinner party. You have 6 seats around your table-who would you invite to join you and what would you serve up?  
I’m lucky that my FiancĂ© used to be a chef so he does all the cooking normally but I’m a cake lover so I’d probably do some sort of cream tea.
But I’d probably just invite a few of my friends and my 3 nephews as I know they’d all get an immense amount of joy out of gorging themselves on the cakes and scones!

Give us a song! Which one song helps you whistle while you work?  



At the moment it has to be Hail Bop by Django Django. 

Let's have a round of applause (or a bombardment of lovely, supportive comments) for Vicky! Same time next week for our next 'Curb Your Curiosity' interview...

The Particulars:
Facebook
Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love colour too and have never seen anything along these lines before. Hope the inspiration keeps coming and you get the dog/cat that you want (don't forget rescue shelters as there are a lot of pets out there just waiting for a second chance).

    ReplyDelete