- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.6XeXEVt9.dpuf The Curiosity Project: Fauxidermy: Frightening Fluff or Striking "Stuff"?

17 October 2012

Fauxidermy: Frightening Fluff or Striking "Stuff"?

Love it or hate it, taxidermy has made a definite come-back in recent years. Shaking off gathering dust from the years of sitting in unvisited museum galleries and stately homes, taxidermy is stiffly inviting its way into our homes. Once considered old-fashioned and still viewed as a highly unethical practice, there's a new breed of enthusiast enjoying collecting ex-museum animals and Victoriana to add a little extra je ne sais quoi to their home.

For me, the real thing is not my bag. I remember a cow skin rug that belonged to my father that we had on the living room floor when I was little and even at such a young age it made me feel a little uncomfortable to touch it, never mind a real stuffed animal. I still skip that part of the museum and yes, I do feel a mixture of creeped-out shame if I ever come across any.

That said, I don't object to a little fauxidermy, for the sheer quirk factor. At the very least, it's guilt free! If you're the kind of person who loves to make a statement then perhaps this is for you? I've picked the best of the bunch. What do you think?


Sarah Moore Vintage Fauxidermy
Soft, cuddly, patchwork vintage.


Own your very own resin deer head in seafoam green!
White Faux Taxidermy


A twist on the classic Steiff teddy via JustTeddies


So tell me. Fauxidermy? Would you seriously consider it for your home? Do you already have some? Or is it the "stuff" of nightmares?


1 comment: