- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.6XeXEVt9.dpuf The Curiosity Project: The Beekeeper's Quilt

27 October 2012

The Beekeeper's Quilt



At the beginning of this year I decided that I needed to get my teeth into a year long project. My last "major make" was a sweet little patchwork quilt for my son I'd made on the floor of his nursery just before he was born two years ago and I wanted something to take me out of myself for a couple of hours a week. Sometimes you can end up staring into a computer screen for the sake of it-do you know what I mean? 
Then I stumbled upon Stephanie Dosen of Tiny Owl Knits and her most beautiful and revered pattern, The Beekeeper's Quilt and fell head over heels in love. In fact, I featured her here earlier on in the year when I'd just started the project. 
Made from hundreds of little stuffed, knitted hexapuffs then stitched together, the Beekeeper's Quilt has been causing a stir on the knitting scene and I joined the ranks of dedicated knitters to begin the long and enduring task to create my own. 


Space left to fill...


Here's where I am now, ten months on, with the aim of covering the flat surface of our kingsize bed. Only the central part has been joined so I've placed the remaining hexapuffs around it to give you an idea of the size. I didn't start with a plan in mind or particular colour scheme, rather, I chose the yarns that leapt of the shelf and demanded I take them home, so it's been a project of the heart for me. My mum has also been steadily working on her's this year although her hexapuffs are half the size of mine and she's working to a soft blue, oatmeal and white colour scheme to match her guest room-it's really very beautiful.


Beautiful, tactile texture. 


The beauty of this project is that you can knit them anywhere. I've sat on the train, the bus, in the car knitting away whenever a journey was long enough and most nights you can hear my needles clicking as I relax on the sofa. I'm head-over-heels addicted to it. And now I wonder, what on earth will I do when I cast off my last stitch at the end of the year? 


Flat hexapuffs, ready for stuffing!


Now I've had a chance to lay out what I have, I'm wondering if I need to bring in some other colours and shades-what you do think it's lacking?

Have you been working on an on-going project this year too?

2 comments:

  1. stunning! Love the colour combinations you have used. Very labour intensive but I can see an amazing unique piece at the end. looking forward to the finished product. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly amazing Tiff . well done.colours look great. x

    ReplyDelete