- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.6XeXEVt9.dpuf The Curiosity Project: The House Became A Home

12 October 2012

The House Became A Home

© Tiffany Grant-Riley



So, how was your week? Mine has been pretty darn awesome to tell the truth. Firstly, our house finally went on the market (and I'll talk more about that in today's post) I began an incredible course run by blogger extraordinaire Holly Becker which is giving me the tools to whip my blog into shape and then after finally plucking up the courage...I passed my driving test yesterday! Given that I'm going to be 30 next year I figured I needed to feel the fear and do it anyway. And yes, it feels incredible, a right of passage. About time!

We've reached another milestone in putting our house up for sale too. It's been a long road and believe me when I say that it couldn't have come sooner...well, actually if we were in the position we'd have done it years ago, but life isn't always as simple as that. 

This house came with my husband who I met whilst studying my stage management degree at university, along with a distinguished and grumpy ginger cat. Quite a bargain if you ask me. Unlike meeting my husband, it wasn't love at first sight when I walked through the door, in fact quite the opposite. I hated everything about it. From the wood-chip wallpaper left by the previous owners, to the shoddy, threadbare and outdated carpets. It all had to go but we had no way of financing an overhaul upfront. Instead, in the name of progress (and to satisfy my impatience) I started to randomly rip the paper off the walls and pull up all the carpets and we lived in what looked like a dodgy prison cell for a couple of years. Nice. 


© Tiffany Grant-Riley


Gradually, my exceptionally skilled father-in-law (a builder by trade) worked his way through our house, re-plastering the walls, introducing bespoke storage and righting all the wrongs that he discovered along the way. It was at the very least a space we could finally have a sense of pride in. Along the way we got ourselves another cat, started businesses, got married and two years ago brought our baby son home from the hospital. We lived in it.


© Tiffany Grant-Riley


I've always felt that it would be a pointless exercise to put my real stamp on this house. For a start, we wanted to keep it fairly neutral so it'd be easy to sell but for the main part, I didn't feel invested in it. I hadn't chosen it and therefore I didn't connect with it and was only too happy to keep my mind focused on what would be our new home. Now we're getting ready to say goodbye, I know I'll miss it desperately. What a 360 turn around. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely won't miss wrestling with the clutter in the pantry to get to what I want or cracking my head on the cupboard in the kitchen because there's no space to move, but there is so much I will miss about this house.


© Tiffany Grant-Riley


There's the apple tree in our garden which fruits every year, my Nina Campbell wallpaper we have in our bedroom, the built in shelving which houses my collection of books teacups. Then there's all the gatherings we've had here-our engagement party, birthdays, Christmases, celebrations...I wonder who the new owners will be, where they'll come from and what new memories they'll create in this house. 

It's funny to think that after all this time, the house became our home. 


Do you have a love/hate relationship with your house? If you've moved recently, how did you cope with that strange process of saying goodbye to it all?  

6 comments:

  1. Loved this post Tiffany, especially the last paragraph about the things you'll miss. I hope you find somewhere great with a healthy apple tree - or plant one. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the move, Tiff. I hope you find your dream home :) We live in a rental flat with woodchip wallpaper and I have to try very hard to love it. Until something changes in the property market, we're stuck though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great except you managed to picture the single piece of skirting in the house that has yet to be painted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt all teary eyed reading this Tiff! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're also about to move after 10 years in our first house. Glad I'm not the only one feeling such an emotional pull. I got married in that house, brought home baby No 1 from hospital and had 2 and 3 in the living room, Plus I count the neighbours among my closest friends. If only it had space for another loo and bedroom I would stay! Good luck with yours, and here's to making the next house your next home...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moving can be a really challenging time. Not only the actual move but the emotional part behind it. We've lived in our current house for a little over 13 years already and it would be so weird having to move out and leave all of that history behind. It has good parts but also lesser parts I guess...
    And looking at your blog after coming here from BYW I still think the title is great. Just a different visual in the header and you'd be good to go!

    ReplyDelete