- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.6XeXEVt9.dpuf The Curiosity Project: Origami Inspired Lighting

9 November 2012

Origami Inspired Lighting

Ever since I came across the work of Ciara O'Neil in Liberty last month, I haven't been able to get enough of origami inspired lighting-a new trend unfolding in the world of interiors. These beauties caught my eye from way across the room and it was love at first sight! I love their bold, sculptured shapes and the way the light appears through the folds and scores of the shades which are made from corrugated plastic. A real feature, don't you think?

Ciara O'Neill's designs at Liberty


Swedish designer Lukas Dahlen constructs his metal Ori lamps by a method of photo-etching which scores the metal, allowing him to fold it into these beautiful shapes. The addition of the gold underneath reflects the light back downwards. Just gorgeous. 



© Lukas Dahlen


My absolute favourites and indeed the most simple-because they are made of paper, are by Dutch designers Nellianna and Kenneth aka Studio Snowpuppe. As a trained architect and industrial designer you can see how their skills combine well to create their pieces. Each one is folded by hand and comes in a range of muted and bright colours. I recommend browsing their Etsy store if you're considering a purchase!


© Studio Snowpuppe


I'm feeling inspired to try and make my own...although maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew? Perhaps it's better that I start small and work my way up to save on tantrums!

What do you think of the origami trend?


1 comment:

  1. love the lights from Studio Snowpuppe. I particularly like the styling details in your 3rd picture with those origami muted pink ceramic vases against that deep maroon chair. :)

    ReplyDelete