- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.6XeXEVt9.dpuf The Curiosity Project: A Very Vintage Christmas Market

14 December 2012

A Very Vintage Christmas Market

During my "blogging down time" I had my friend Suzanne to stay from Holland for a long weekend. Following our beautiful holiday spent with her in the north of Holland earlier this summer it was my turn to show her a native's viewpoint of the south east of England. No pressure.

It just so happened that a friend of mine, Kate Fletcher, was having a Christmas market just outside the village of Thaxted in Essex where I lived for a short while in my late teens. Kate runs an absolutely fantastic vintage prop hire company and shares barn space with florist Sam of Violets & Velvet so this was the perfect setting for a quintessentially vintage English Christmas (that was quite a mouthful!)




Occasionally I have to style an event or shoot which requires the vintage touch and Kate is really the only person I'll come to for props because she has such an extensive and detailed collection. Until now I'd not had the chance to pop up and see her in her new space so this was a real treat! It was a freezing cold, crisp day when we arrived but we were greeted by a warm fire, hog roast and hot chocolate on tap to warm the cockles. The barn was transformed into a treasure trove of vintage delights, mixed in with a splash of Christmas colour and a gorgeous selection of flowers and evergreen wreaths. 






I instantly fell in love with this beautiful display Sam put together of brassica, grasses, craspedia, astilbe (I think?) and chrysanthemum. The textures and shapes are so unusual yet the colours come together to create a rich and warm winter arrangement.




A fun, sociable way to serve up mulled wine or warm apple cider-in a glass drinks dispenser. You could use milk bottles as pictured or even mason jars for a more rustic feel.




I loved these succulents displayed in cloches, a perfect gift for a green fingered friend. I keep a little collection on my kitchen windowsill and they thrive there. And then, in amongst it all was this beautiful moss green sofa. I was desperate to hitch this onto the roof of the car and bring it home-no idea where I'd put it in our little hobbit hole but to me it looks to be the perfect place to curl up with a book, don't you think?





My head is now full of wonderful ideas to incorporate some of the vintage paraphernalia I have sitting in our loft (how much pressed and cut glass does one woman need?!) and I hope this post has gone some way to inspire you in your own festive endeavours!

Vintage Style Hire now have a 'living shop' with some beautiful pieces to dress and style your home with. If you'd like to find out more, please visit Kate's blog for more information.

Follow Vintage Style Hire
Facebook
Twitter
Blog
Pinterest


Follow Violets & Velvet
Facebook 
Twitter
Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment