I absolutely love this time of year. The tree is up and smelling amazing, the salt dough wreath I made last year is hanging with pride on our front door and the living room is glowing magically with a liberal sprinkling of fairy lights. Thoughts are turning to last minute tasks, planning the menu for next week (I cannot wait to get baking!) and snapping up a few extra gifts before the big day. I admit that I am, yet again, rather late with my gift lists-for some reason I plan them with the best of intentions and then leave them to the very last minute, so I do apologise-perhaps next year I'll remember to give myself a kick up the backside in October!
This collection of gifts have been geared towards a print and design savvy lady (or guy if you discount the earrings!) who loves bright and bold style and isn't afraid to show it off. I give you Graphic Girl!
1. I'm known for keeping wrapped up warm in the winter months, I've always got a scarf or shawl around my neck-even indoors. Absolutely LOVE this Bling Bling Brix silk scarf by Voxish Industries. It's a digitally printed masterpiece of "scratchy, worn paint textures adorned glitzy, sparkling vintage jewels." Want.
2. Kangan Arora's (doesn't she have an amazing name?!) North Indian roots really shine through in her beautifully vibrant textiles. Inspired by her every day surroundings at home in India, from rickshaws to Bollywood posters, the results vibrate with excitement. Her fluro-bright, screen printed Kites cushion makes for an ideal decorative pick-me-up.
3. This pink, black and white graphic print would look fabulous in a simple black frame as shown on a white wall as part of a gallery in the same colour way. Who doesn't need a little love from time to time? Check out designer Luzelle van der Westhuisen's African and Scandinavian inspired designs here at Mengsel.
4. Metallics are enjoying a (tasteful) design revival now and I'm relishing indulging my obsession for gold. Isn't this fragmented gold bone china mug by Petra Green just gorgeous? Launched in 2010, her lifestyle brand Room39 is founded upon the abstract, with a bold aesthetic and playful use of pattern.
5. If like me you're renting right now and worry about the commitment of using colour and print in your home, invest in something like this woven woollen throw by Eleanor Pritchard Easterly at Heals. It gives a three dimensional quality and an instant injection of colour. It'd look great on our grey sofa, if I do say so myself...
6. A print with a difference! Created by Danish illustrator Kristina Krogh for Ferm LIVING, this Butterfly print is all about texture, not only with the use of cold marble and stone but also the material it's printed on. Birch plywood.
7. As the daughter of a goldsmith, I've spent a lot of time around some outrageously elaborate jewellery (packets of precious gems on the table was a normal occurrence) so when I choose pieces for myself, these days I prefer something simple and bold. In keeping with the current arrow trend I had to include these seriously cute Go Fetch arrow earrings from vintage accessory company Eclectic Eccentricity who breathe new life into worn out and unloved pieces. Stylish, simple and to the point, don't you think?
So tell me, what's caught your eye here today and will it be going on your Christmas list?